Monday 29 August 2016

When I grow up

A conversation with my dad last night for me thinking. We'd been talking about Stephen Hawking and what Mol might be able to do with her computer in the future. So today I decided to talk to Mol about these questions.

We started the afternoon by watching a video about space. Mol was captivated by it. She is normally very easily distracted by things going on around her but she was totally focused on this. I then told her that there was a very clever man called Stephen who had taught us lots about space and that he was one of the cleverest people alive. Then I showed her a picture of him. She was excited that he was in a wheelchair like her but screamed when we saw him talking because he uses a computer to talk too!

I then asked her what job she wanted to do when she grew up. I put some options on her computer and we talked about what each person does. I was pretty sure she'd choose teacher but she suprised me when she said 'when I grow up I want to be a scientist'. That's right everyone, Mol is going to be the next Stephen Hawking.

The rest of the afternoon was spent being a scientist. She decided she was going to be a chemist so we made the clothes (white coat and goggles) and collected items to use to make a new medicine.

When our concoction was made we spent some time talking about what it does, how to take it and who to give it to. It was such a great afternoon and I really saw Mol understand the full potential of the computer for the first time.

Mol, please continue to dream and explore and discover. I know you will do great things in your life. I hope you know that too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment