Tuesday 16 August 2016

Back to India

Tomorrow afternoon I get on a plane back to India. I can't wait to see my friends, meet new people and most importantly see the kids I've been thinking about since I left over a year ago. So many exciting things have been happening at SCH since I was last there. Several kids have been adopted, new kids have come, volunteers have been and gone and of course all the kids have grown and learnt new skills. Sometimes it is easy to forget that it will not all be the same when I get there. I still imagine walking into my old room and seeing my friends there. I still remember my exact schedule and part of me still expects to be following it, despite knowing I have a very different role this time.

Then I remember why I'm going back. I am going to help give Molly a voice. My plan is to spend 3 weeks working intensively with Molly to teach her how to use the eye-gaze computer. My hope is that she will learn the basics and her teacher can then continue working with her. She is so intelligent and I know that she will grasp the concept so quickly. I know it will be difficult. Having had a go controlling the computer with my eyes I know how hard and sometimes frustrating it can be. I am praying that she will enjoy it and work hard to achieve what I know she is capable of, and that I will have the patience to teach her even in those difficult moments.

Over the next three weeks I will be writing about her progress. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who donated to make this possible for Molly. You have helped give her the most incredible gift in the world. I hope that one day soon she will be able to say thank you herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment